Wednesday, April 04, 2007

My First BRICK of the season....

For those of you who are not familiar with the term "BRICK" as it relates to triathlon training, a BRICK is any workout that combines more than one discipline of the sport (swim, bike, run) back to back.

The purpose of a BRICK is to train your body to transition from one sport to the other. I think on some levels the term BRICK is used because you are "building" endurance between disciplines, however I believe it is more likely because BRICK accurately describes what your legs feel when you start running after a 20+ mile bike ride!

So last night was the first BRICK of my training season.....

1 hour bike followed by a 2 mile run.

The bike felt good, I even managed to add a mile to my pace. 13 miles in an hour instead of the 12 mph that I have been seeing for weeks now....I'll take it!

The run after *felt* a heck of allot faster than it turned out to be. There were no instructions to take it out fast or push the pace so I just tried to adjust to being off the bike and relaxing my stride. I was just shy of a 14 minute mile.

D'OH! So sloooooowwwwww!!!

Well that is what training is for...to get back to those sub-12 minute miles and eventually faster - off the bike.

I woke up so tired this morning. I gave Jim a kiss and said "Honey, I want to go back to bed!" He smiled and said: "Base mileage is over! Welcome to Training Season.."

He is right... 3 weeks to my first TRI of the season, Kinetic Sprint TRI just 8 weeks to Columbia Triathlon and just 10 weeks to Eagleman 70.3!!

TRI season is coming!! Time to LiveSTRONG!!

Hope you are all having a good week!

1 comment:

kerihadley said...

it's amazing how 14 mph on the bike makes you feel like you doing great on the run, until alas the watch tells the truth of the matter. in my race last week, my swim-great, bike- pretty good and then the run, I was feeling maybe a pr was coming on, but no, it was my slowest ever on that course, but I felt fast. Oh well, there's always next year.