Today let's talk about PREVENTION. Here are 4 things that you can do STARTING RIGHT NOW to prevent you and your family from Skin Cancer in the future....
• Use sunscreens rated 15 or higher DAILY
- Doesn't matter if you are going to the beach, school or work. If you are going to be outside for more than 15 minutes put on that sunscreen! Many moisturizers now come with UVF/UVB protection already in them - so take a few minutes and lather up!
• Avoid unnecessary sun exposure
- This doesn't mean avoid the sun altogether but when you are outside and there is the option to stand in the Shade, take it. If you have a hat...wear it, if you have sunglasses...put them on. Be SMART not PARANOID.
• Teach your children good sun protection habits at an early age. The damage that leads to adult skin cancers starts in childhood.
- The statistics are frightening: More than 90% of Skin Cancers are due to sun exposure and only ONE blistering sunburn in childhood more than doubles a person's chances of developing melanoma later in life. My Melanoma was on a spot on my back that has significant sun damage. I can hardly count the number of sunburns that I had as a young kid and a teen because I couldn't be bothered to stand still for 5 minutes too put on sunscreen. Teach your children both BY EXAMPLE and through talking to them, that Sunscreen is part of being outside in the Sun. That one routine could save their lives someday!
• Stay away from tanning booths!
- Seriously, if you need to have a "tan" to feel sexy, use a self-tanner or go get sprayed. There are plenty of NON_UVF options. Of course you should feel sexy no matter what your skin-tone. SEXY comes from WITHIN!