Friday, June 12, 2009

12 Weeks goes by so quickly...




Well it is coming up on another 12 weeks and this weekend the 4th group of CANCER to 5K Runners will toe the line at the Survivor Harbor 7 Race in Baltimore, MD this Sunday, June 14, 2009.

This season we tried two new things - we added a 7-mile distance training option for those CT5K alumni who wanted to try running a longer distance than 5K and we coached 3 runners "on-line."

All in all, I think we continue to be very successful.  We had a few people who had to pull out of the program for various reason - but that happens in any program. 

Last weekend the first of our "on-line" runners, Sandra, completed her first 5K at the Race for a Cure in Detroit, MI.  Her comments after the race to Coach Bob:

 "I can't believe I did it. This was HUGE for me and I couldn't have done it without you Coach. I was a little nervous but my sherpas were by my side and I averaged a 5 minute run/1 minute walk pretty consistently. I felt good running and felt even better finishing.  p.s. - I'm signing up for a 5K in September."

(L to R:)  Andrea, Sandra  and Jenean:
The H. Sisters at the finish of the Detroit Race for the Cure!

On Sunday, June 14, 2009 - We will have 4 runners and 4 volunteers running the 4-mile event and 4 runners and 7 volunteers running the 7-mile event.  Including friends, family and non-running volunteers - we will have a group of about 25-30 people representing the CANCER to 5K program at the Survivor Harbor 7 race.

The goal of this program, from inception, was always to provide a place where young adult cancer survivors could discover the benefits and joys of being active and hopefully, after the program, have the tools to continue running or explore other areas of fitness and continue with an active, heathy lifestyle.

It's working but to be honest, I had no doubt that it would work.  Sometimes all a person needs is the opportunity to try something new.  CANCER to 5K provides that with NO FEES, NO FUNDRAISING and LOTS OF COWBELL.  Our Coaches, Assistant Coaches and our Volunteers keep coming back to help and I hope as we spread the word and get more survivors involved - we will make an even bigger impact on the Survivor Community here in the NOVA/DC/MD area and someday far beyond.

What is even more exciting is that some of the Alumni runners are going onto bigger and better things and yet they stay involved with the group - training and doing social races - and in that way - they encourage and inspire our new runners.

• 1 CT5K alumni runner qualified for and ran her first Half Marathon at the National Half Marathon (13.1 miles) this past March 2009.

• 2 CT5K alumni runners are currently training for the Half Marathon Distance (13.1 miles)

• 1 CT5K alumni runner is currently training for the Marine Corps Marathon this fall! (26.2 miles)

This season has been the most "hand-off" season for me yet due in large part to my IRONMAN USA training. I am thrilled to report that the CANCER to 5K program has a model that is working successfully and can sustain itself - showing that there is room for other  groups like the Northern VA team to form and grow.

RACE DAY is going to be a day to CELEBRATE!

Life is Good!  Live STRONG!  MORE COWBELL!!!

3 comments:

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

This post makes me so happy :) CONGRATS SANDRA! And congrats to all of the other cancer to 5k participants, they have all come so far!

Es --- IRONMAN! said...

I just read the C25K website. What an awesome concept/idea. Have a great race!

Anonymous said...

I gave you a blog award today! You can check it out here and pass it along. :)