Wednesday, May 18, 2005

The difference between night and day...

Or more accurately the morning after....

This morning I woke up feeling a little sleepier than normal with just the vaguest hint of a headache. THANK GOODNESS!!! It looks as though my mornings are going to be the better part of the day during these first four weeks.

Yesterday, post-blog entry, was not very pleasant. My headache raged on through the remainder of the day, despite regular intervals of Tylenol every 4-6 hours. I was also treated to some full body chills, aches and a lovely round of fever that never got higher than 101 but would break and then return an hour later. It was everything they said to expect.

Throughout the day I kept reminding myself that these were symptoms of treatment and that I was not sick! Admittedly it was pretty hard to pull myself out of the "sleepy couch" in the height of these symptoms but around 6:30 pm, I realized that:

1.) I needed to eat

2.) Moving around might help me feel better than laying around feeling sick.

So I got up, make myself a ham and cheese sandwich and cleaned the kitchen a little, just the basics of dishes in the dishwasher and wiping the counter. It made me feel much better to be active on some level.

Jim went out and did 20 miles yesterday on our behalf. I liked hearing about his ride and knowing that he is finally rebounding from his long fight with Mono this winter. Serious illnesses always seem to knock the "heck" out of people with athletic lifestyles and sometimes the hardest part is getting back to what feels normal again.

With that in mind, I am on my way out the door for a lovely 1-mile walk. I have no idea how far is too far and don't want the "headache" to return PRIOR to my next treatment. AFTER, I can accept and rationalize. BEFORE is just to soon.

Interferon Cocktails are a b*tch kids! Stick to your basics (beer, wine and spirits) and put on some sunscreen! (SPF 30)

Living STRONG but feeling like I have a little hangover this morning.

3 comments:

:) said...

You are handling this great...keep up the good work and keep:

LIVING STRONG!!!

Nancy Toby said...

Thanks for keeping us updated, Holly! We're thinking about you!! Can you do laptop stuff while you're on the drip? If all you're eating is a sandwich now and then, you are going to be SO SO SKINNY when this is all over!!! :) Hope your walks help clear your head - definitely let me know when you're ready for a bike ride!!!

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Sorry to hear about the fever. Maybe the fever is buring the heck out of any rebel cancer cells. Maybe not but it's a nice visual. :-)

You seem upbeat and focused even with all the side effects. Let me know if you run out of books to read during therapy. I've got lots of paperbacks I could send.

Live strong!