Monday, May 02, 2005

In the Beginning

So as promised, here are some of the details up through today, on my experiences being diagnosed with metastic Melanoma.

How did it start?

I came home from a long run one Sunday in late January and hopped into the shower to clean off. As I was cleaning my back, I felt a large bump and naturally thought, "Damn that is a huge pimple!" I often get pimples from being sweaty and having my sports bra rub my skin, so I thought nothing of it. Got out of the shower, proceeded to dry off and looked in the mirror to "see" just how bad it was. Imagine my guenuine surprise to find a mole.

Hmmm...I didn't have that mole before did I?

I am pale, freckle instead of tan and have always had several small flat moles like my mom. She has always told me to "keep an eye on the moles" and go to the Dr. if they changed. Being the "good girl" that I am and having recently hounded my boyfriend Jim to the dermatologist for what turned out to be a basil cell carcinoma, I made an appointment to see my primary Dr who recommended me to a Dermatalogist who could see me in 2 weeks.

No comments: