Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Tales of Ice and Half Marathons

Today was busy at work and while my knee didn't get any smaller, I had hardly any pain. So I went to the gym and did an upper body strength workout and some Core Strengthening. As a test, my warm up was 10 minutes on the stationary bike at Level 4 (very easy). No pain to speak of ...

Once home, I iced for 15 minutes ON - 20 OFF - 15 ON, a course of action recommended in my book "Galloway's Guide to Running" and took some Advil. We shall see if there is any reduction of swelling by morning. In the mean time, I am going to take tomorrow and Friday off completely and hope that will encourage some healing and then I will resume my run workouts by half and maybe stay off the spin class bikes and stick to Sunshine and a trainer.

Time will tell ... taking it easy this week may be hard but it could mean the difference between having a fun time running Myrtle Beach with my sister, Heather, in 3 weeks OR suffering and needing to take more time off to heal.

Besides, I need pool time.

**YEAR OF THE PHOENIX CALENDAR UPDATE**

My youngest sister Cathy, noticed that I didn't have anything planned for October 2006 yet and emailed me to ask me if I would be willing to head up to Maine to run the Maine 1/2 Marathon with her. She *claims* that she needs something to keep her active over the next few months but I *know* that she has become charmed by the BLING of Race Medals!!



You look at this picture of Cathy running the Myrtle Beach 1/2 Marathon in February 2006 (Her first road race EVER!) and tell me that she doesn't look like a runner!

So I jumped on Active.Com today and registered for the 1/2 Marathon. Looks like 2 of my races this season are with my sisters!! How cool is that? WICKED COOL!! Life is pretty darn good !!

3 comments:

:) said...

Sounds like a blast!

Cliff said...

That's awesome. :)

Kim said...

That's awesome. You'll have so much fun.
I have so much more fun when I can talk one of my sisters into doing a race with me...we all run at difference paces...but we still pass each other on the course and meet up afterward...all having shared in the accomplishment.
It's great. :)