Tuesday, October 25, 2005

A Most Excellent Taper

The time for the "taper" has come and it is being enhanced by a 10 DAY BREAK from the Interferon. I am going to be feeling like $1,000,000 Dollars on race day! Marine Corps Marathon - here I come!

I saw Dr. Butler on Friday and he decided then was as good a time as any to stop the SUBQ shots for a week or so. He felt that the break would help boost my blood count and give me a little extra edge for race day. The "edge" being simply that I won't feel "flu-ish" for the week leading up to the Marine Corps Marathon!

This is kind of morbid, but I did have to promise Dr. Butler that I wouldn't "die on him" out there and that I would listen to my body. It was a promise that I gladly made and that I fully intend to keep.

He said that with a smile on his face so I think he was being somewhat funny but then he proceeded to make sure I understood how to avoid overdoing it with "plain water." I did my best to assure him that I understood the risks of hyponytremia and dehydration and I had a nutrition plan worked out and that I would always have Keri and Nancy with me in the first 20 miles to make sure that I was staying on pace and on plan.

This race isn't about PRs .. It is about living as STRONG as I can under the circumstance.
-------------
Jim and I had a great time climbing Old Rag for his Birthday. The weather was perfect and the crowds pretty small. I will post a picture later tonight!

1 comment:

Cliff said...

NO dying during tapering....:)