Life is just one damned thing after another.
- Elbert Hubbard
On Wednesday night, February 15th, Gladys Katherine Elizabeth Gannoe passed away. She was 94 and it was a blessing. Gladys other wise known by me as "Grandma G" was a strong, tough woman.
I lived with Grandma G. from the time I was 7 years old along with my parents and later my sisters. While we had a challenging relationship, I am happy to have plently of wonderful memories that I'd like to share.
• Would visit the local nursing homes every week and take her friends out for the day - She hated nursing homes...
• Had an apartment complete with a bedroom, bathroom, living room and porch on the back of the house
• Loved the Music of Englebert Humberdink
• Loved to watch "Love Boat" and Lawrence Welk
• Was the orginal "channel surfer" and used to drive me crazy by changing the channels during commercials ("BUT GRAM WE ARE GOING TO MISS THE SHOW!!")
• Always had Orange Marmelade on her toast that she soaked in bacon grease
• Ate Chocolate Chip cookies and Ice Cream in the middle of the night
• Would listen to hours of "Heidi & Friends" and "Nursery Rhymes" Albums while my little sisters danced around her living room
• Never left the house without putting on her face
• Smelled of Ben Gay, Oil of Olay and Emeraud perfume
• Let me raid her closets constantly when I was in high school and wanted cool "retro clothes"
• Had a magnificant costume jewelry collection
• Definately influenced my love of "art deco" style decorations and furniture
Things Gladys Always Said:
What's for Dinner? - "Quail on Toast"
Whenever we pulled into the driveway in her car - "Home Again, Home Again Jiggity Jig"
Rest in Peace Grandma G.